Martinsville Speedway: History
- Opened in September 1947 by H. Clay Earles, Martinsville, originally a dirt track, is one of the oldest continuously-operating race tracks in the United States.
- The first NASCAR-sanctioned race at Martinsville was on July 4, 1948.
- The first Monster Energy NASCAR Cup race was Sept. 25, 1949.
- The track was paved in 1955.
- The first 500-lap event at Martinsville was in 1956.
- Concrete corners were added atop asphalt in 1976.
- There have been 136 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series races at Martinsville Speedway, one in the inaugural year and two races per year since 1950.
- 615 drivers have competed in at least one Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series race at Martinsville; 391 in more than one.
- NASCAR Hall of Famer Richard Petty has the all-time most Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series starts at Martinsville with 67; Matt Kenseth has the most starts among active drivers with 34.
- Ryan Newman leads all active drivers in the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series in average starting position at Martinsville Speedway with a 9.267.
- Ryan Newman (9.267), Joey Logano (9.375) and Denny Hamlin (9.636) each have an average starting position at Martinsville inside the top 10.
- In total, 61 drivers have made their first career Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series start at Martinsville.
- Gray Gaulding (10/30/2016), Chase Elliott (03/29/2015) and Michael McDowell (3/30/2008) are active drivers that made their first Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series career starts at Martinsville Speedway.
- Curtis Turner won the inaugural Coors Light pole at Martinsville Speedway in 1949.
- 60 drivers have Coors Light poles at Martinsville, led by NASCAR Hall of Famer Darrell Waltrip with eight; Joey Logano, Ryan Newman, Denny Hamlin and Jimmie Johnson are tied among active drivers for the most Martinsville Coors Light poles with three each.
- 27 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series drivers have multiple Coors Light poles at Martinsville.
- 13 drivers have won two or more consecutive Coors Light poles at Martinsville Speedway; the most recent was Joey Logano who has won the last three poles at Martinsville.
- Five of the 13 have won three consecutive poles at Martinsville: Glen Wood (fall of 1959 and 1960 sweep); Darrell Waltrip (1979 sweep and spring 1980); Mark Martin (fall of 1990 and 1991 sweep); Jeff Gordon (2003 sweep and spring 2004) and Joey Logano (2015 sweep, 2016 spring).
- Youngest Martinsville pole winner: Ricky Rudd (4/26/1981 – 24 years, 7 months, 14 days).
- Oldest Martinsville pole winner: Morgan Shepherd (4/26/1987 – 45 years, 6 months, 14 days).
- 12 drivers have posted their first career Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series Coors Light pole at Martinsville Speedway; the two most recent are Scott Riggs (4/10/2005) and Tony Stewart (4/18/1999).
- 49 different Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series drivers have won at Martinsville Speedway, led by Richard Petty with 15; Jimmie Johnson leads the series among active drivers with nine wins; followed by Denny Hamlin with five. Only seven active drivers have won at Martinsville.
24 drivers have multiple wins at Martinsville Speedway; nine drivers have won five or more times; two of which are active: Jimmie Johnson (nine) and Denny Hamlin (five).
- Hendrick Motorsports leads the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series in wins at Martinsville Speedway with 24 – Jeff Gordon (nine), Jimmie Johnson (nine), Darrell Waltrip (four), Geoffrey Bodine (one) and Dale Earnhardt Jr. (one).
- 20 of 136 races (14.7%) at Martinsville Speedway have been won from the Coors Light pole; three of those 20 wins came from active drivers: Jimmie Johnson (2012, spring 2013) and Denny Hamlin (2010) – Note: Johnson won from the first starting position is 2008, but qualifying was not held due to weather. A total of 21 wins have come from the first starting position.
- The Coors Light pole (1st starting position) is the most proficient starting spot in the field at Martinsville producing more wins (21) than any other starting position.
- 36 of the 136 (26.4%) Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series races at Martinsville Speedway have been won from the front row: 21 from the first-place and 15 from second-place.
- 98 of the 136 (72.1%) Monster Energy NASCAR Cup races at Martinsville Speedway have been won from a top-10 starting position.
- Seven of the 136 (5.1%) Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series races at Martinsville Speedway have been won from a starting position outside the top 20 – including both races in 2015
- The deepest in the field that a race winner has started is 36th, by Kurt Busch in the fall of 2002.
- Youngest Martinsville winner: Richard Petty (04/10/1960 – 22 years, 9 months, 8 days).
- Oldest Martinsville winner: Harry Gant (09/22/1991 – 51 years, 8 months, 12 days).
- 12 Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series drivers have posted consecutive wins at Martinsville Speedway. Fred Lorenzen won four MENCS races straight (the most) from the fall of 1963 through the spring of 1965. Jimmie Johnson is the most recent driver to win consecutive races (fall of 2012 / spring of 2013) at Martinsville.
- Kyle Busch competed at Martinsville Speedway 21 times before winning in 2016; the longest span of any the seven active Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series winners.
Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.